Graphics
Logo
 
     

Architecture - Church of St. Mikulas

2. Chrám svatého Mikuláše Chrám Sv. Mikuláše (Church of St. Mikulas)

No Change

Roman Catholic Cathedral on the Prague Castle complex
Praha 1
back pictures link
 

Baroque church built in the period of 1704-1755 by Kilian Dientzenhofer, it is one of the most beautiful Baroque churches in Europe. Building was completed in 1735, but in 1781 Emperor Jozef II ordered the closure of monasteries and the decorations were removed. During WW2 the Czech army were stationed in this church and artists at the same time restored a lot of it. Originally a church of a Benedictine Monastery, now belongs to the Czechoslovakian Hussite Church. There are beautiful ceiling paintings that show scenes from the life of St Nicholas and St Benedict, and a wonderful chandelier. The southern facade is decorated with figures of Saints. Decorated with white stucco, it has been nicknamed, the wedding cake, and is a classic example of Prague baroque architecture. Inside is the organ played W. A. Mozart, when he was in Prague. It is a concert venue during the summer. Near of this church you can take a horse-driven cab and make a tour around the Lesser Town Square.

  Last updated: 1.July, 2011

Graphics
Graphics